Tyson and I used to feel restricted as to what we could take with us in the backcountry because we would be limited to what would fit in our avalanche airbag backpacks. We recently upgraded to the ABS Vario System, which is the most versatile, cost effective, and usable avy packs out there. We both got the Vario system, which includes the airbag system and a basic 8L zip-on. We then also got larger zip-ons from ABS (Tyson got the 24L and I got the 32L). We love having the organized space but we also love the option to be able to change the pack out depending on the adventure.
We do a lot of reviews in the backcountry and also take photos and so we needed something just a little bit more for the days when we’d be using the camera a lot. There are a lot of amazing backpacks out there for taking your gear into the backcountry, but nothing that would keep us as safe as the Evoc CP 26L ABS Compatible Zip-on. Now, we can be just as protected as on any other day. The CP 26L is a bag designed around organizing and safely carrying your camera gear with you. It zips on to the ABS system just as any other zip-on would.
The CP 26L is filled with features to keep your photography equipment protected and to keep you organized. Evoc explains the pack as a 60/40 split, meaning that 60% of the backpack is built for your camera gear and the other 40% is for backcountry gear like extra layers, skins, and your avy safety gear.
Something that is really beneficial is having a single compartment for avy safety gear and nothing else. You don’t want to be fumbling through all your gear when you’re in an emergency situation. Evoc placed the avy gear pouch on the front of the pack and it is easy to get to and fits a probe, shovel blade, and shovel handle.
For extra easy accessibility, Evoc uses T-zipperpullers, which are easy to use when wearing big bulky gloves. There is also a built in rain cover which stores nicely away in the bottom of the bag and will save your gear when it starts raining or snowing hard.
Perhaps one of my favorite features of this bag is the easy camera side access. A zipper closure “door” is placed on the side of the backpack, which opens up directly to your camera body and lens. No need to take the entire backpack off and unzip everything to grab your camera. You won’t miss that perfect shot!
The inside of the backpack is partitioned for all of your important camera accessories. There is a ton of flexibility when it comes to organizing your gear and so you can make it customized to exactly how you prefer. We can easily fit extra lenses, GoPros, mics, and plenty more. On the front panel of the inside, there are extra compartments to keep batteries, filters, and memory cards organized. Evoc really cares about the protection of your gear and it is evident by looking at how they’ve paid close attention to detail. The zippers on the front panel even have garages so they don’t scratch your gear.
The gear pouch inside the pack has it’s own zipper closure so that nothing wet can seep down on top of your camera. At first I thought it would be a pain to have to go through two zippers to get my extra gloves out but it really is no hassle at all. I’d rather go through two zippers than ruin a $1200 camera.
Of course, Evoc gives you plenty of options for carrying your skis or snowboard and that is a huge feature to include on a camera pack. I know some backcountry specific packs that don’t even include ways to attach your gear. If I can’t carry my skis on the pack, it won’t be going in to the backcountry with me. Way to go, Evoc, for covering all the bases and then some.
This is the first ABS Compatible camera backpack out there and it really hits home on all of the features. We have no complaints and are so excited to be able to carry our gear (safely) into the backcountry. No more wrapping the camera up in extra layers then stuffing it in my backpack. Thanks Evoc for coming up with this and including so many important and usable features. Be sure to check Evoc out as they make packs for hiking, biking, skiing, and anything else you can think of!
The CP 26L ABS Compatible Backpack
More gear reviews