I jumped at the chance to review this remote battery from No Outlet, No Problem. Anthony Vilgiate, the inventor, is a great friend of mine, and as close to a genius as I’ve ever met. If there’s anyone who could get this remote battery to blow all others out of the water, it’s Anthony.
As I’m reviewing this remote battery, Anthony is launching it as a Kickstarter project in three versions: Adventurer, Expedition, and Destination. In this video I’m testing the middle size but most powerful unit: the Expedition.
Obviously, I’m in love with this tiny device. A few things to note, specifically on the Expedition model:
- charges my iPhone almost 10 times from 0 to full
- two USB outputs to charge anything that accepts USB for charging
- only slightly larger and heavier than my iPhone 5
- I was able to charge it from a small solar charger, even from the halogen bulbs in my kitchen
- I’ve charged a water purifier, iPhones (4, 4s, 5), Lumix camera, and headlamp, many at the same time, thanks to the dual USB outputs
The great news? The Expedition is only $50. Head over to Kickstarter to check out the other two versions and to vote for a bigger production. That’s what allows these to be so inexpensive.
More gear reviews